OFF THE RADAR - Kanner Architects

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To start, this is the first of what will be called my "Off The Radar" series. As the title implies, it is only going to include new and noteworthy projects in the construction phase that haven't (or almost haven't) been published. One of the perks of living in Los Angeles is that I often see these eye catching projects while driving around in my car. Let me rephrase that: because of the traffic in Los Angeles I am often sitting in my car and I am able to look at mostly hideous architecture, although sometimes credible and inspiring architecture too.


This condo building is almost completed with the exception of a few minor landscaping punch list items. As I stated before, I drove past this building and made a mental note to head back some day and take a gander with my camera. I knew that I would eventually write a blog entry, so it made sense.

The condo complex was designed by Kanner Architects, a well known firm of 20, located in Santa Monica, CA. They are familiar with condo design
and it shows. They are known for certain project types with colorful a exterior and a softer, more neutral interior. Apparently the starting price, which might be subject to change in this economy, is $529,000. That's actually not too bad for LA. The only unfortunate part is the site - it's almost underneath the 405 freeway. We'll see how these sell off...



It's definitely a well done condo building. Have yet to see any floor plans...



All four facades have a smooth coat plaster finish, stainless steel windows, metal sills and metal coping. The depth and intricacy of the four facades is mainly achieved by the use of color and syncopated massing. Although the building is mainly a monolithic block, the solid and void interplay on the facade give it interest.








[Photos: The Exposition, 22 - Architectural Flex-space Condos; image source]

0 comments: